My first Up-Cycle Project of a really old pedestal was a pretty sharp learning curve, and it took me much longer than it should have. You can read all about that experience here. But with my new found skills and confidence, I was ready to tackle this dresser.
Other than some broken hardware and warped draw runners, the drawer was in decent shape when I picked it up, but it definitely needed to be given a coat of character.
I was drawn to this piece because of the intricate design carved into the bottom and side of the draws, so I knew that any makeover I done, would have to highlight this.
As always, I started by taking out the draws and removing all the hardware from the dresser. I then sanded down the top of the drawer with my little hand held sander ( I have a Hyper Tough Orbit Sander). I was fortunate this time, because there was only a thin layer of varnish over the top. The hardest part was the detailed and curved front of the dresser top. To make sure that I didn't lose any of the character of the dresser by sanding right over the detail, I hand sanded these parts with 120 grit sandpaper.
For the base of the dresser, I planned on using chalk paint, so it wasn't necessary to sand down the base extensively. I did however, use a piece of light sand paper and go over some rougher edges just to clean it up a little bit. I know that some people would recommend still sanding a piece down before using the chalk paint, but i don't think its really necessary.
The draws themselves had some holes in them from where previous handles had been, so I filled these with wood filler and once dried, sanded it down for a smooth finish.
I was finally ready for the fun part - adding the color and the character to this new piece.
I started with Minwax's Ebony Stain on the top. I used a roller to get the stain on, but it came out pretty streaky. I landed up doing a couple of coats to get the rich dark color I wanted on the top and to get rid of all of the streaks. If you have any tips on a better way to apply a stain to ensure a smooth finish, I would love to hear them. (Update, I have since learnt that the best way to apply stain is 'wax-on, wax-off" - which I done on this side table).
I then applied Rust-oleums white linen chalk paint to the base and the draws. I found that 2 coats was more than sufficient to get full coverage.
I absolutely loved the end product and this piece has now found a perfect little place in our home.
Here's the obligatory before & after picture.
I would love to hear what you thought of this dresser Up-Cycle.