I spent months pinning renovation projects I loved and ambitiously wanted to try (I do this often, I have tons of pins that I am dying to try and have never actually got around to - but at least the pictures look pretty on my Pinterest board).
With the upcoming visit of my parents - and only a blow-up mattress to offer (we are still in the process of building up our little furniture portfolio), there was finally a bit of pressure to actually get some of these projects done.
I set off on a little treasure hunt, heading to some thrift stores and hoping to find the perfect piece. I didn't appear to be having any luck, until I walked into the Habitat for Humanity Restore. Waiting right at the front door, was this little beauty looking for a new home. I fell in love with the intricately carved detail on the front. (It also had a huge aquamarine colored glass cover on it which I haven't quite figured out what to do with yet).
Now as any good DIY'er will tell you - make sure you have all your project supplies before you start. Of course this not so good DIY'er didn't follow this advise and I landed up having to run back to the store three times that day.
It took me hours to get down to the clean raw wood, but once i was there, the fun part of this little project could begin - adding the color.
For the top of the pedestal, I used Minax's Ebony Stain so that I could get the natural wood grain showing through, but still have the dark color I was aiming for.
On the base, I used white linen chalk paint. I started out by using the chalk paint in the spray can, but the paint didn't go very far and it seemed to come out quite streaky. So I headed back to the store (3rd times a charm) and went back to basics with the trusty old brush on paint. I used Rust-oleums white linen chalk paint. I know that you can apply chalk paint directly over old paint or varnish (without the stripping and sanding), but the layers of old paint were so thick and had started to bubble in places, that it was really necessary to get it all off.
I finished the pedestal off by applying a sealant (or polyurethane if you want to get fancy). Once everything had dried, I re-attached the doors and I added the new hardware that i had picked up (I absolutely love the detail on these pulls).
It took a long time to finish, and there were definitely moments of pure frustration and questions of my sanity for taking this project on. It was a really sharp learning curve, but I absolutely love the end product.
I'm excited to get started on my next project (I already found a gorgeous dresser that has its whole future planned out for it).
I would love to hear what you thought about this renovation and any tips you might have for me for future projects.