I have to apologize, but its been a while since I last posted any of my up-cycled projects. Its not that I haven't been working on any furniture flips, its just that I haven't got around to actually blogging about the transformations. But I am back and ready to share this beautiful entryway console flip with you.
I received this piece for free from a neighbor who was just looking to get rid of it. I wasn't sure if I would be able to do very much with it in the beginning. But up for the challenge I decided to adopt the piece and attempt a miracle transformation. I took my inspiration from the revamped charcoal dresser I completed a couple of months ago.
As always, I started by removing all of the hardware to make prepping and painting easier. I also removed the little cupboard door on the front of the console.
Since I intended to paint these drawers with chalk paint, it wasn't necessary for me to be obsessive about sanding it down perfectly. Although the directions on the chalk paint tin says that it is not necessary to sand down at all, I do see a difference in how the piece looks at the end if I do some sanding before I paint. The sanding doesn't have to be perfect and you do not need to get into all of those little grooves, but just give it a good enough sanding to rough it up a little so that it gives the chalk paint a good surface to cling to. I use the Hyper Tough Orbit Sander, which works great for all my needs. I finished off with a fine grit (120) sandpaper for an extra smooth finish
I then gave the console a good wipe down with a damp cloth. By making sure that the piece is completely clean of all of the dust particles caused by the sanding, you will ensure that you have a nice, smooth finish.
I painted the framing of the dresser using Rustoleums Charcoal Chalk Paint. The first coat comes out a little streaky, but all you need to do is make sure you get good coverage the first time round. Don't worry about perfection (if you are a little OCD, this may be harder than you think). The second coat took care of all those streaks and gave me the smooth finish I was looking for. If you want an extra smooth finish, I suggest taking a very very fine sand paper and gently going over the first coat once it has dried.
The draws were painted using two different colors. I used Rustoleums Linen White Chalk Paint and Rustoleums Aged Gray Chalk Paint. I started by painting the draws with Rustoleums Aged Gray Chalk Paint. Once it was completely dry, I used Rustoleums Linen White Chalk Paint to do extensive dry brushing over the gray draws. I use a paper plate and after dipping my brush into the paint, I wipe it almost clean on the paper plate and do soft, long strokes onto the dresser. I build up with numerous layers of dry brushed white until I get the look that I am aiming for.
I finished off the piece with two coats of a water based polyurethane. I used Rust-oleum's matte based polyurethane so that I could keep the chalky look of the paint, without a high glossy appearance. I always do an extra coat on the top of my pieces, since I know they will get a lot of traffic and I want to make sure I protect them as much as possible.
Once everything had dried, I measured and drilled holes so that I could attach these cute pulls that I picked up from Hobby Lobby.
I love the way that this piece turned out. I would love to hear what you think of it or if you have done any similar pieces.