One of the hardest parts of any furniture makeover for me, is trying to decide what I want to do with the piece (and then whether I actually know how to achieve what I want to do with it). I was tempted to do this little side table to match the dresser makeover I had done previously, but hubby convinced me to keep the top lighter (and I am so happy he did because I love the way it turned out).
As usual, I started by removing all of the hardware and got to sanding down the table. As much as using my little sanding machine makes the job much easier, I don't especially love having to get into all of the intricate little corners with the sand paper. Lucky for me, my plan was to do the base of this table with chalk paint, so i didn't have to worry about sanding it down perfectly, just enough to rough it up a little. I do love how easy to use and how well my little Hyper Tough Orbit Sander works. I also used 120 grit sandpaper on the top to get a smooth finish.
Next up was giving this piece a good wipe down with a damp cloth. You don't want to give this part a skip (trust me I have learnt from this - dusty particles under your paint looks bubbly - and its not a pretty look).
I stained this piece using Rust-Oleums Weathered Gray. I only used one coat as I didn't want it to get to dark.
On my first few pieces, I brushed the stain on, but it came out streaky and to thick. This time, I applied the varnish using foam brushes (buy these in bulk so you can just throw it away after each project) and then I used a lint free wag to wipe it off - effectively rubbing it into the wood.
I love the way the gray color turned out, seeping into the natural grain of the wood but still being very light.
Wait for the stain to dry before proceeding with anything else. (Check the can for directions on how long this will take as it varies from product to product, but since I am super impatient and cant wait to see the end result of my piece, I love the fact that Rust-oleum dries in 1 hour. I flipped it over and used painters tape to seal off the parts that I had stained to make sure there was no drip. This seems like a tedious step, but I learn from my mistakes last time which saw me having to re-sand and re-stain a portion of the dresser.
I painted the base with Rust-oleums Linen White Chalk Paint. The first coat comes out a little streaky, but just make sure you get good coverage the first time round. The second coat took care of all those streaks and gave me the smooth finish i was looking for.
Once the chalk paint was completely dry (make sure it is dry before you do this, or the chalk paint will run and become streaky), I applied 2 coats of a water based polyurethane. I used Rust-oleum's matte based polyurethane so that i could keep the chalky look of the paint, without a high glossy appearance. I actually added an additional coat to the top since it will see a lot of traffic and I wanted to protect it as much as possible.
I finished off by attaching the hardware. The hardware that came with this piece was in good condition, but the black didn't go with the soft and fresh look I was going for, so I picked these cute, weathered white handles up from Hobby Lobby (on sale - yay).
I really love the way this turned out. I picked up a coffee table which I think I am going to do to match this side table. Watch this space.