This dresser had some pretty bad water damage and there was definitely a creative little kid that used the drawers as an artistic canvas. But I love a little challenge, it makes the final reveal that much better. It also gave me creative license to try out some new painting techniques without worrying about messing up a special antique piece.
I had a few extra pulls from my DIY coffee table tray project which I used as inspiration for this dresser. I went completely out of my comfort zone (which is normally the neutral whites and creams), and tried out some charcoal and gray colors to match the pulls.
As always, I started by removing all of the hardware to make prepping and painting easier (and especially since I was going to be replacing those little animal pulls).
Since I intended to paint these drawers with chalk paint, it wasn't necessary for me to be obsessive about sanding it down perfectly. Although the directions on the chalk paint tin says that it is not necessary to sand down at all, I do see a difference in how the piece looks at the end if I do some sanding before I paint. The sanding doesn't have to be perfect and you do not need to get into all of those little grooves, but just give it a good enough sanding to rough it up a little. I use the Hyper Tough Orbit Sander, which works great for all my needs. I finished off with a fine grit (120) sandpaper for an extra smooth finish
I made sure to give the set of drawers a good wipe down with a damp cloth. By making sure that the piece is completely clean of all of the dust particles, you will have a nice, smooth finish.
I painted the framing of the dresser using Rustoleums Charcoal Chalk Paint. The first coat comes out a little streaky, but just make sure you get good coverage the first time round. The second coat took care of all those streaks and gave me the smooth finish i was looking for. The draws were painted using a layering technique of three colors. I used Rustoleums Linen White Chalk Paint, Rustoleums Aged Gray Chalk Paint and Rustoleums Charcoal Chalk Paint. I started with one layer of the white paint and made sure to get full coverage of the draws. I waited for about an hour (you want it to start to dry but not to be completely dry). I then used the gray and charcoal to do extensive dry brushing over the white paint, making sure to get the color mix to my liking. At this stage, you will have a very dry brushed look, rather than a blended finish.
Again, I waited for about an hour so that the paint had mostly dried, but still slightly damp to make it easy to work with. I then applied a coat of a water based polyurethane. I used Rust-oleum's matte based polyurethane so that I could keep the chalky look of the paint, without a high glossy appearance. When I applied the polyurethane, it blended the three colors into the finished look that I wanted. Once the paint and polyurethane was completely dry, I added a second coat of the polyurethane to seal the piece completely.
I then measured and drilled holes for the pulls and attached the pulls to the draws. I finished the piece off by adding matching gray, white and black floral draw liners to the inside of the draw. I love how unique the dresser looks and that it matches the décor of our bedroom.